Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Why I Don't Have Cable TV

       
  When my husband and I first got married, we lived in a one bedroom apartment and had a Comcast cable and internet package.  The company assured us it made sense to have a package because you’d save money.  We rarely watched TV and after about a year of paying for something we never used, we decided to cut this out of our budget.  The cable company tried to convince us to keep it, but we had made up our minds.  I understand many people will not be able to relate to this post because they love watching TV, but this is how I truly feel about cable.  Below are the main reasons I have no desire to ever have cable TV in my home.

1. Cable TV is Too Expensive for What You Get

Think about how much you pay a month to have cable.  Now think about how much time you actually watch TV and consider how much of that time is spent watching ads.  You’re paying to watch commercials.  This doesn’t make sense and I will not waste another second of my life paying to have my brain turned to mush.

2. There are Better Alternatives

I’m not completely knocking watching TV.  I love Amazon Prime and Netflix.  They are superior to cable because there are no annoying commercials and they allow you to watch what you want on your time.  Not to mention, you can binge watch shows, so there’s no waiting to see what happens week to week.  Plus, these forms of entertainment prevent channel surfing.  You can stick to the shows and movies you like, and really save time.

3. Cable is a Waste of Time

Speaking of time, watching cable TV is a waste of time.  You can spend hours channel surfing and sitting through commercials.  You could be spending that time with friends and family or being productive.  In my opinion, cable promotes laziness.

4. Commercials are Rotting Your Brain

Did I mention how much I loathe commercials?  I can’t stand them.  They get super loud, they’re mostly advertising things I would never buy, and they’re taxing on your mental health.  There is a ton of research on how too much of this kind of stimulation is psychologically unhealthy.  Our lives are chaotic enough.  When we’re home, we should enjoy peace and quiet while we can, not fill our minds with meaningless chatter.

                It may seem strange to some since I’m only 26, but I really am content to watch less and less TV.  I feel like there are more important things to do in life.  In my home, there is one TV in the living room.  We will never have a TV in any of the bedrooms.  I don’t think there is anything wrong with relaxing every once in a while in front of the TV.  But I don’t think we should be addicted to it.  Maybe you completely disagree with everything I’ve said, but at least consider what TV is doing to your mental health and your family.  I believe attempting to have the TV on less would improve the quality of life in many homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment