Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Vinyl Haul

My husband and I started collecting vinyl in 2015, and since then we've accumulated quite a collection.  Today I wanted to share my vinyl collection and discuss the stories behind how we got each one.

The first record we ever got was a spur of the moment decision.  We were at a concert to see Wolves at the Gate in April of 2015.  We saw records at the merch table and my husband decided we should get one, just for fun.  We aren't really spontaneous people, so this was a big deal.

We bought VxV and got it signed by all the band members.  At this point we didn't even own a record player, we were just excited to have this piece of memorabilia.



The next vinyl we got was Emery's You Were Never Alone.  We listen to The BadChristian Podcast (two of Emery's members are hosts) where they were promoting this album.  They were selling the record for a fair price so we ordered it online.  We still didn't have a record player, but planned to get one in the future.




We did some research and decided to buy one from Urban Outfitters.  It's a great first record player and eventually, we might get one that's more high tech.  While at Urban Outfitters, we picked up A Day to Remember's Homesick and Death Cab For Cutie's Kintsugi.  


Crosley Vinyl Record Player





Brian and I were checking out vinyls at Hot Topic one day and found Blink-182's Greatest Hits, The Devil Wears Prada's double record featuring Dear Love: A Beautiful Discord and Plagues, and Sleeping With Sirens' With Ears to See and Eyes to Hear and Feel.





Our collection was growing and I decided I had to have Little Machines by Lights on vinyl.  We also pre-ordered To Those Left Behind by Blessthefall.



In November of 2015, we attended Emery's 10 year anniversary show for The Question and got one of the few vinyls they had left.  Unfortunately, we didn't get any autographs, but we did get to briefly meet Matt, the guitarist.



Something strange happened to me at the beginning of 2016.  I discovered Nirvana.  I know I'm pretty old to be discovering such an iconic band, but I guess when I was an angsty teen I got stuck in the early 2000's emo band era and never bothered to look back.  I was only a year old when Nevermind came out in 1991.  I kept seeing their posters in movies and TV shows and heard about them so often I decided to check them out.  I ended up really enjoying their music so I went to Urban Outfitters and picked up Nevermind



Lights released Midnight Machines in April of 2016 and of course I had to pre-order that vinyl.  It's one of my favorite records to listen to because of the vibe of the slowed down songs.




In May of 2016, Pierce the Veil released Misadventures.  I hadn't heard one song from the album but I pre-ordered it because I knew it would be amazing.  They raise the bar with each album and they did not disappoint with Misadventures.  I'm so glad I have the vinyl because it's their best album yet.




In October of 2016, Brian and I went to see Hawthorne Heights in concert and we were lucky enough to get the lead singer, JT Woodruff's autograph on our Hurt vinyl.  



Next we pre-ordered The Devil Wears Prada's new album, Transit Blues and got their Space EP.




Finally, the last vinyl we got is by the same band we started with.  Brian surprised me and pre-ordered Wolves at the Gate's latest album, Types and Shadows.




Our collection isn't complete and it's actually a big deal I would collect anything considering I try to create a minimal living space.  But this is one thing I feel is a really special collection because records are so personal and there are creative ways to display them.  I never thought I'd be into vinyl but I believe it's a great way to support the artists.  Investing in records is a way to truly value the music you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment