Thursday, January 5, 2017

Why Breakfast Isn't the Most Important Meal of the Day

We've all heard it before, from loved ones, movies, and commercials: "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day".  But have you ever really stopped to think about what this means?  Do you ever just listen to what your body is telling you rather than what some company wants everyone to believe in order to promote their products?  Based on nutritional research and my own personal experience, morning is not the time to load up on a big meal.  Starting the day off right is important, but all meals are essential to keep our bodies and minds energized.  

I have never been a breakfast person because I don't really like breakfast foods and I don't have a huge appetite in the morning.  I remember forcing myself to eat processed protein bars before school, just so I didn't skip breakfast.

These days, I have a new approach, thanks to living the Beauty Detox lifestyle.  The philosophies of this program make so much sense because they focus on how our bodies can best handle foods for optimal nutrition.  I only eat when I'm hungry, and that is super important.

I use the morning to continue cleansing from the night before.  Everyone wakes up with bad breath, sleep in their eyes, and oil build up on their faces.  This is the body's way of detoxing through the night.  You can optimize that cleansing process by allowing your body's digestive system (which must use a ton of energy to digest) to rest.  Allowing your body to get rid of excess waste by using the bathroom is also an important part of the morning.

I've been drinking warm lemon water first thing every morning for about two years and I've never felt better.  This rehydrates your body and activates your organs for the day.  The lemon has vitamin C and helps cleanse your liver.  I continue the morning slowly by sipping on the Glowing Green Smoothie.  This gives me energy and nutrients without weighing me down with heavy foods.  If I get hungry before lunch, I'll snack on fruit, which should only be eaten on an empty stomach because it digests the fastest of any other food group.

You may be thinking you couldn't ever try this because you need fuel in the morning, but you'd be surprised how much more energy you have when your body isn't struggling to digest solid food.  The few times I have strayed from this routine, my body feels heavy, sluggish, and full the rest of the day.  Once it got used to this extended time to cleanse, it lets me know when I've messed up by giving me a stomach ache.

Lunch is definitely an important part of the day because you do need fuel and brain energy.  I try to keep my lunches simple and my favorite combination is soup and salad.  Contrary to popular belief, dinner is actually the best time to eat heavier foods.  As long as you're not eating right before you lay down for bed, eating more dense foods is best done at night.  This is because you will be giving your body the entire night to digest without loading your digestive system up with more food.

I believe the idea breakfast is most important of all meals is flawed and outdated.  We need to stop buying into everything we hear about food and really listen to what our bodies are telling us we need.

Give the lemon water and smoothie routine a try for about a week, and I guarantee you won't want to go back to feeling weighed down by heavy breakfast foods in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment