Thursday, February 2, 2017

Products to Ditch Today (and Awesome Alternatives!)


As a minimalist, I'm always trying to discover new ways to save space and money.  We live in a world where someone is always trying to sell us something, but the truth is, we don't need all this stuff!  I used to buy into this mentality and try new products just for something different.  But many products are not necessary, take up precious space, are full of chemicals, and cost a lot of money.  I've done a lot of research on all these topics, and I'd encourage you to do your own.  Today, I'm sharing my list of products I no longer use.  I'll also give convenient alternatives if needed.

Shaving Cream/Gel

In one of my first blogs, I discussed How I Cured Itchy Irritation From Shaving My Legs.  I discovered my skin was reacting to the shaving cream I was using.  Shaving products are often full of toxins that cause skin irritations.  You don't need to waste money on them.  I now shave with Dr. Bonner's Castile Soap, which I also use as body wash.  It's gentle on skin and I no longer suffer from irritation.  Plus, now there is one less product in my shower, so I'm happy!



Antiperspirant

Please, Please, Please, DO NOT USE ANTIPERSPIRANT!  Our bodies are supposed to sweat!  By blocking sweat glands, you are keeping toxins your body needs to get rid of inside.  Please check out my blog, The Best Chemical Free Deodorant, where I share my story about how bad I used to stink.  I share the deodorant recipe I use, requiring only 4 simple, inexpensive ingredients.  My husband and I share the deodorant and it lasts for months.  Even if we're sweating, we don't have to stink!

Dryer Sheets/Fabric Softeners 

Last year, I started hearing how dryer sheets and fabric softeners are full of chemicals and should be avoided.  I heard about alternatives, such as wool dryer balls you can add your favorite essential oils to if you want a chemical free smell on your clothes.  I had about a half a box of dryer sheets left, which I used up and have never replaced.  I don't miss them at all.  Please check out this EWG article, Don't Get Slimed: Skip the Fabric Softener, for more information about the dangers of these products and other natural alternatives.

Loofahs

At one point, I had 3 different loofahs I used in the shower.  One day, I decided I didn't need them anymore.  This turned out to be a great decision because loofahs hold a lot of bacteria.  This is another product you can ditch and not replace, thus giving you more free space.  I just wash my body with my hands now.

Chewing Gum

If you haven't checked out my blog, My Aspartame Horror Story, please do.  I discuss how I discovered the artificial sweeteners in the gum and mints I was using were causing migraines and neurological issues.  Artificial sweeteners are poison, but thankfully, there are gum and mints with natural sweeteners such as xylitol, which are safe.  I love the mints from the Spry brand and use them regularly.  Recently, I decided to give up gum.  Gum is something we don't really need and it actually tricks our bodies into thinking we need to start digesting, thus causing imbalance.  Gum can also cause bad breath.  This is one habit I sometimes miss, but I can live without.



Air Freshener Sprays/ Plug-Ins

Once again, this is another product full of chemicals.  If you actually read the ingredients in these products, it's really scary.  People spray these into the air of their homes and breathe them in all the time.  This is not only an unnecessary product, it's also harmful.  If you want your home to really smell good, invest in a diffuser and let essential oils fill your space with healthy, natural scents and ditch the fake stuff!

Kitchen Sponges

This is similar to loofahs because kitchen sponges hold a lot of bacteria as well.  You're cleaning your dishes with something that can never really be clean.  I've never liked touching a kitchen sponge, so I use a dish scrubbing brush with a handle so I don't have to feel anything nasty while washing the dishes.  This brush is under $10 at Bed Bath and Beyond and it's very easy to clean.  I throw mine in the dishwasher every time I do a load and it dries quickly.  They only need to be replaced every year or so.  Easy!



I hope this inspired you to look into the products you use and really consider making a change.  You'll be saving space, time, and money when you reduce purchases, therefore making your life more simple.  Remember, less clutter means less you have to deal with, resulting in less stress and more time for what's really important!

1 comment:

  1. I wish more people would read this and I have found a similar website, check this once Dryer sheet alternative visit the site to know more.

    ReplyDelete