Tuesday, June 7, 2016

How I Cured Itchy Irritation From Shaving My Legs

I stared down at the dark brown circle with frustration.  The can of shave gel clearly says "rust resistant", yet the proof that the opposite was true covered my otherwise clean white bathtub.  My husband and I had only lived in our new apartment for a few months and there was already a hideous stain.

 This, and the irritation the shave product had caused my legs, led to my decision to never use shave gel again.  I threw away the can, happy with my decision, but at a loss for what I'd replace it with.  Ever since I suffered from an antibiotic induced rash and was unable to shave for several weeks, I made it a habit of shaving everyday.  But now I was dealing with a new shaving obstacle.  

Every time I would shave, my legs would get extremely irritated.  It would start with intense itching all over, so I would scratch, and that would cause more irritation.  I'd get painful red bumps and ingrown hairs.  I'd have to wait for that to clear up before I could shave again and the cycle would start all over.  I remember struggling to fall asleep because the itching was so bad.  In the morning, I'd wake up to scabs where I'd evidently been scratching while I slept.  

Shaving with a brand new blade definitely helped, but I couldn't do that all the time.  As months went by, I just dealt with my condition the best I could.  I began trying other types of shaving products, but nothing seemed to help.  Other health issues caused me to change many aspects of my lifestyle. My diet changed as I did research on nutrition and it seemed natural to extend that research to beauty products as well.  I discovered the dangers of chemical filled shaving products and actually felt thankful I had developed an allergy to them.  

Applying harsh chemicals to the skin can cause surface issues, like I was experiencing, as well as build up toxins in the body.  Our skin absorbs these toxins and our bodies have to work that much harder to detoxify.  It's not worth the risk.  

Eventually, I found Dr. Bonner's Castile soap, which is an all natural, chemical free, biodegradable, multi-use product.  I started using it as a body wash and now it's what I shave my legs with.  It's been over a year since I struggled with the irritation and it feels good to use something I can trust.  I also use a product from The Body Shop called Aftershave Balm in the Kistna scent.  It's actually in the men's section but it works great for preventing irritation on my legs.  I also love how it makes my skin feel soft and smooth without feeling greasy.  This isn't a product promotion, it's a true personal experience.  If you've ever struggled with a similar problem, I recommend researching the products you're putting on your skin.  Try new things and see what works for you.  It will take time, but you will heal and get back to having smooth, bump free legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment