Thursday, December 15, 2016

Foreshadowing of True Love

I've already shared the story of How I Married My 5th Grade Crush.  Today I want to share something that happened when Brian and I were first dating.  It was 2011 and we were falling more in love every day.  One night, I was babysitting alone and the kids were asleep.  I was watching a show on my phone and there was a party scene.  Suddenly, a memory I hadn't thought about in 11 years was triggered.
  
I was 10 years old at my 5th grade dance.  I was wearing a pink dress and my mom had let me shave my legs for the first time.  I cautiously approached the dance floor of the small Elementary school gymnasium.  I had sat out all the dancing up to this point, but decided to take advantage of the last song of the night.  All the kids were crowded around the center of the room close to the DJ on stage.  There were no couples dancing, just a large group of kids dancing together to some 90's hit.  I stood next to a few friends, trying to not stand out.


This is me, my mom, and my teacher, Miss Holley, at the 5th grade dance.

Brian and Miss Holley


  Across the crowd, I saw my crush surrounded by the popular boys from our class.  We had only spoken a few times the whole school year and he had always been nice to me, but he was more interested in hanging out with his friends.

In that moment, our eyes locked for what felt like a long time.  We stared at each other intensely, and then the moment was gone.  I remember feeling like that was a significant event, especially since this was around the end of Elementary school and big changes were happening.  As the years went on, I forgot all about this moment.  

Now, 15 years later, we are happily married.  Looking back on that memory always reminds me that God created us for each other.  I can't help but reflect on it, thinking about all we've been through, and knowing I was staring at my future that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment