Friday, September 9, 2016

How I Married My 5th Grade Crush

The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him. Lamentations 3:25 ESV






I would like to share this story to spread love and joy.  There is so much heartache in this world so when something like this happens, I think people should know about it.  I typically don't like being in the spotlight, but in this case, my love story is special and worth sharing.  In order to fully explain why it's so unique, you have to understand the kind of girl I was.  

I've always been shy, introverted, and kept to myself.  As a teenager, I dated a few guys, but was never in a relationship.  I was often depressed because I felt like an outcast who didn't fit in anywhere.  At times I thought I'd never find someone who would love me and after I got my heart broken at 19, I gave up on all hope of falling in love.  

2010 was a very transformative year for me.  I was in college, still living at home, so my life was pretty simple.  My depression was even worse at the beginning of the year because of the aforementioned heart break, but God was preparing me.  He was teaching me to be content with who I was at this time in my life.  I didn't need anyone else to complete me.  By the end of the year, I was a new woman.  It took a lot of time to get to that point, but for the first time I felt free to just be happy where I was in life.  And that's when my prayers were answered.

In December of that year, I was on Facebook and added a friend named Brian because I saw him on my recommended friend's list.  I recognized him as my 5th grade crush and just wanted more friends.  He accepted my request and I thought nothing of it, until he messaged me in January of 2011.  He was trying to figure out how we knew each other and I reminded him we were in the same 5th grade class.  I mentioned I had a video of the play we were in and he should come over and watch it some time.  At this point, I still didn't get my hopes up that anything would come of this.  I just thought of him as an old friend.  He seemed interested in seeing the video so we made plans for him to come over and watch it the next night.  

I'll never forget seeing him again for the first time in ten years.  I opened the door and we had instant chemistry.  It was so easy to talk to him and I don't remember there being one awkward moment.  We watched the video and talked for hours.  We ended up hanging out the rest of the weekend and by Sunday we were officially each other's first boyfriend and girlfriend.

There were several moments that made me realize this man was "the one".  For example, that Sunday night we discovered we were both saving ourselves for marriage.  I remember the shock and thrill it was hearing that from such an attractive guy.  It was refreshing and it allowed us to connect on a much deeper level.

As our relationship flourished we learned new things about each other.  Like how he had prayed for a redhead with pale skin and how I prayed for someone who would be strong where I was weak and weak where I was strong so we could help balance each other.  All these things were true of us.  The love we felt for each other was instant and only continued to grow.

As the months went on, it became clear we both wanted the same things.  Marriage was discussed frequently and on September 9th, 2011 (5 years ago today), he proposed at a beautiful park.  I didn't hesitate for a second before saying yes.  We both just knew we would be together forever.




We began planning our wedding at the beginning of 2012 and decided December 1st of that year was our wedding date.  It seemed like that day would never come.  We talked about moving the wedding up and decided to pray about it separately, but both felt a peace to keep it on that day.  

My goal for posting this isn't to brag about my happiness or be praised.  I want anyone single who felt like I did to know the right person is worth waiting for.  God blesses those who are patient and wait for His timing.  We're by no means perfect, we just have faith.  Brian and I prayed for each other and did not give in to the social pressures this world imposes on the youth.  I encourage anyone doubting their self worth to pray for guidance and stay strong.  Not everyone's story will look the same and that's okay.


 


I will be posting the wedding day story on our four year anniversary, so look out for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment