Monday, June 27, 2016

5 Easy Tips For Making Cleaning More Enjoyable

I readily admit I am a clean freak.  I get it from my mom who always kept our home immaculate.  The thing is, it's not just that I like having a clean living space.  I genuinely love to clean.  I look forward to my weekly cleaning day where I dust, scrub the bathrooms, mop, vacuum, do laundry, etc.  I understand many people do not feel this way, which is why I've created this list of ways to make cleaning more enjoyable.  Even if you're unable to devote an entire day to cleaning, you can incorporate these tips into whatever task you're working on.

Tip #1: Get in the Right Mindset
If you begin a cleaning session with an attitude of dread, you will not enjoy yourself.  Those negative thoughts will permeate the whole experience.  Instead, try to think positively about what you're doing.  You have a living space and the ability to get up and do something good for you and your family.  This is a necessary task, so instead of complaining about doing a little work, accept where you are and try to feel joy in the present moment.

Tip #2: Create a List
Instead of just starting a random task, make a list of everything you want to get done in a convenient sequence.  I always dust and wipe counters before I vacuum so dirt and crumbs that land on the floor will get picked up.  I don't have kids yet, but I plan to use the method my mom did with my sister and I where we would make a list of chores to help her check things off.  By making it into a game, it teaches them cleaning is fun and not a punishment.  This will benefit them later in life.

Tip #3:  Listen to Music or Podcasts
This is my favorite thing to do when I clean.  I love music and podcasts, so I always have something playing.  This is a great way to distract your mind and focus on what you're listening to.  It helps reduce negative thoughts and makes whatever you're doing go by much faster.  Most of the time, I carry my phone in my pocket and use headphones when I vacuum.  The headphones are great if you need block out noise or if you're trying to be quiet for others.  Some of my favorite podcasts are The BadChristian Podcast, You Hate Movies, Beauty Inside Out With Kimberly Snyder, and Lead Singer Syndrome.  You can subscribe and get new episodes regularly on your podcast app.  That way, you get new content every week.  There are podcasts on just about every topic so just search the app for whatever you're interested in and try a new show.

Tip #4: Use Cleaning as a Form of Exercise
When I'm scrubbing surfaces or vacuuming the floors, I can feel my muscles getting stronger.  Our bodies release endorphins when we exercise and it's important to stay active if you want to live a healthy lifestyle.  You're really killing two birds with one stone.

Tip #5:  Embrace Your Accomplishments
Once you've completed a task, take a deep breath and give yourself permission to be proud of what you've accomplished.  Take pride in keeping your home clean.  It's not always easy to get things done and when you're successful, that work should be acknowledged.  Once you are done, you can enjoy the rest of your day in a fresh, healthier living space.

I hope these tips help future cleaning experiences become something you can at least no longer dread.  I believe maintaining a clean home is a major aspect of creating the best possible environment for a healthy family.  You'll be surprised by how putting in a little effort and using these simple techniques to make the process go smoother will reap awesome rewards and benefits to many aspects of your life.  You'll be less stressed and improve family relationships, convenient living, and overall health.

No comments:

Post a Comment