Sunday, June 12, 2016

5 Easy Tips For Organizing Your Closet

It doesn't take much for a closet to become overwhelmingly messy.  It's the home for clothes, shoes, and other miscellaneous items that can quickly build up.  I'm always trying to find new ways to make my closet more organized and after many years I think I've almost perfected it.  These are my easy tips to creating a convenient, well put together closet.

Tip #1: Declutter and Categorize
The key to an organized closet is to not overcrowd it.  Be realistic about what will fit.  Go through all your clothes and shoes and eliminate the items that no longer fit or you know you'll never wear again.  Next, order them based on type.  In my closet I have long sleeves, starting with heavy jackets and moving to light flannels, short sleeve shirts, tank tops, and dresses.  Place the pieces you wear regularly within reach and the less frequently used in the back.  You can also arrange them by color.  My previous post, 6 Easy Tips For Organizing and Decluttering Your Home, might be worth reviewing for this step.  

Tip #2: It's All About the Hangers
This is probably one of the easiest and most overlooked tips.  Hangers are a necessary component of a closet, but how do they function visually? Are they all the same color, shape, and size?  I asked myself these questions when I was trying to figure out what was bothering me about my closet.  All the hangers were different and it looked chaotic.  I decided to only use the clear plastic ones so they would all look uniform and it made a world of difference!

Tip #3: Storage Boxes and Baskets
The best way to make the shelves look neat is to invest in storage boxes and baskets.  I prefer them to clear bins because they hide all the contents.  My husband and I have stackable boxes which hold miscellaneous mementos and four large baskets to store books and photo albums.  You can find them in any size at most home goods stores.  We got ours from World Market at a great price.

Tip #4: Shoe Racks
I'm fine with admitting I don't have a large quantity of shoes.  My husband and I share a small shoe rack.  But even if your shoe collection is vast, this is a great way to keep them easily accessible.  Plus, the less you keep on the floor, the easier it will be to vacuum.


Tip #5 Adhesive Hooks
Speaking of keeping things off the floor, adhesive hooks are an awesome tool.  You can hang up backpacks, duffel bags, purses, belts, etc.  This was actually my husband's idea and he did a great job of placing them on the closet walls.

I hope these tips are applicable for your closet.  Please leave a comment if you were able to incorporate any of them.  If you do,  I guarantee you'll feel much better every time you walk into your clutter free, organized closet!

No comments:

Post a Comment