Friday, August 19, 2016

5 Practical Tips For Getting an Amazing Night's Sleep

I'm excited to discuss this topic because I believe sleep should be highly valued and prioritized.  Unfortunately, sleep is underrated and often neglected in our society today.  This can be extremely dangerous to our health.  Lack of sleep can cause many health problems such as weight gain, premature aging, decrease in sex drive,  and memory impairment.  In fact, according to sleep expert Dr. Kirk Parsley, "It's very similar to being intoxicated when you're sleep deprived."

Sleep is something I personally feel very passionate about because if I go without it, I'm basically a zombie the next day.  I have to maintain a sleep routine because if I don't, I feel sick, weak, foggy, and sometimes it takes several days and nights before I feel normal again.  I even had to quit a job because I was being asked to go on business trips and stay out late after meetings.  My body could not keep up and I had to make the difficult decision to leave that company.  My health was more important than that job, and in the end it was the best choice for me.

  Below is a list I've compiled that will help prepare for an amazing night's sleep.  These are things I've found helpful in my own attempts at falling asleep if I'm struggling.

1. Limit Lights
Having lights on at night tricks our bodies into thinking it's still time to be awake.  After the sun goes down, I try to limit my use of lights.  I'll use a desk lamp for reading, but overhead lights are rarely on in the hours before bedtime.  Plus, this is a great way to save money!  It's also a good idea to put your phone on the new "Night Shift" setting.  If you have an iPhone, go to your settings and select "Display & Brightness", then click on "Night Shift".  You'll see a description that says "Night Shift automatically shifts the colors of your display to the warmer end of the color spectrum after dark.  This may help you get a better night's sleep."  My phone is automatically set to this mode every night.  Darkness is ideal for sleeping deeply, so make sure to eliminate all lights in your bedroom.

2. Take a Break From Distractions
Bedtime should be peaceful and relaxing.  Try to create a calm atmosphere, starting when the sun goes down.  Set this time aside to be with family and wind down.  Take a break from studying or thinking about work, and do something that helps you feel serene.

3. Avoid Late Night Snacking
I used to love having late night snacks before bed.  But this is not the best habit to get into.  You should eat enough at dinner so you're not ready for another meal at bedtime.  That way, your body isn't having to digest when you're trying to fall asleep.

4. Comfort is Key
This is one of the most important things you can do because there are so many factors that can cause you to be uncomfortable when falling asleep.  Make sure the temperature in the room is how you like it.  Eliminate anything that could potentially cause you to be uncomfortable when falling asleep, such as clipping hangnails, going to the bathroom, or applying lip balm to chapped lips.  I also keep water on my nightstand, but I don't guzzle it right before bed because then I'll have to get up to pee soon after.  Just drink enough so your mouth isn't dry.  If you're sensitive to noises, a great option is to wear earplugs.  They have been a lifesaver to me in many situations, especially if you have a spouse who snores.  Lastly, get some soft, comfy bedding you'll look forward to snuggling into.

5. Go Inward
This tip has specifically helped me in times of stress.  I struggle to fall asleep if there is something major, good or bad, going on in my life.  But thinking and worrying about outward things and the future can lead you to lay awake with an active mind all night, and that's what we're trying to avoid.  In these instances, I have caught myself clenching my teeth and fists, and my whole body is tense.  Once you recognize this, you can release tension and allow your muscles to relax.  This is the first step because it's easier to relax your body than your mind.  Take deep breaths if you need to.  Then, focus on controlling your thoughts.  I'll often pray to God as I fall asleep, which is very calming.  I simply talk to Him about my worries and thank Him for all of my blessings.  Other times, I'll fantasize about things that make me happy, like being with my husband, what kind of mother will I be, or what would happen if I accomplished all my dreams and goals.  Let your mind take you to the best possible places, and you'll drift off to sleep in no time.

I hope these tips help.  I'm not qualified to give medical advice and if you think you have a serious sleep problem, you should see a doctor.  Everyone deserves to feel rejuvenated in the morning and I wrote this for people who may not have thought about the tips I've shared.  Our goal is eight hours a night and I hope this helps you get there!

Sources:

Beauty Inside Out Podcast With Kimberly Snyder Episode 31: Better Sleep With Dr. Parsley and How To Fight Fatigue Naturally!

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/features/10-results-sleep-loss#3

1 comment: