Tuesday, August 2, 2016

How I Cured High Cholesterol Without Medication

In 2009, I was a 19 year old community college student.  One day, I was sitting in a nutrition class and the teacher was talking about the fat in our organs.  I hadn't eaten anything substantial that morning, so between that and the discussion topic, I began to feel light headed.  I thought if I could just splash some cold water on my face I would be fine.  I walked out of the class and headed toward the restroom.  My breathing was heavy and my mind was foggy as I walked slowly down the hallway.  The next thing I remember is waking up on the ground surrounded by strangers kneeling over me.  I slowly sat up and they told me I blacked out.  This was the first time I had ever passed out before.  My teacher came out of the classroom and insisted on calling an ambulance.  All she seemed to care about was following protocol.

While waiting for the paramedics, the women, who I found out were in the nursing program, began telling me what happened from their perspective.  They said when they first saw me I was walking strangely close to the wall.  They ran and guided me to the ground as I fell.  I don't know what would have happened if they hadn't been there and I'm so thankful God sent them to help me.  The paramedics came and after a short checkup they determined I was fine.  I called my parents to pick me up and on the way home my mom said I had to go to the doctor, just to be sure everything was okay, and I reluctantly agreed.

My doctor didn't find anything abnormal during the checkup and said it was probably a psychological issue combined with not eating enough.  She wanted me to take a blood test as an extra precaution.  Everything came back normal except my cholesterol.  My doctor was surprised by this because of my age and since I've always been underweight.  She said sometimes genetics can contribute to this condition and there was nothing I could do to change that.  Her advice was to exercise daily and change my diet.  I'll admit I was very sedentary at this point in my life because my main activity was sitting at a desk doing school work.  My diet was also a mess at this time.  The only guidance she gave me was in the form of a vague pamphlet about high cholesterol.

Over the next two years I was given a certain time period to work out and clean up my diet before the next blood test.  I would do well for a while, but then I'd get lazy again.  At the age of 22, I went to a gynecologist who told me about red yeast rice supplements.  Those were a great option for me because I didn't want to be on prescription medication.  I took Red Yeast Rice for about two years.

When I started researching nutrition on my own and discovered The Beauty Detox Program, I stopped taking them.  By eating a whole foods, plant based diet 98% of the time, I got my cholesterol levels healthy in an all natural way.  I also discovered yoga, which gets my heart rate up while building strength and I believe that has helped as well.  I still get checked at least once a year and ever since I've been eating this way my levels have been healthy.  I'm not qualified to give medical advice, I've just been through a lot with my body over the past few years and this is what has worked for me.  You can read my other story, My Journey to Clear Skin, for more specifications on how I changed my diet.  If you or someone you know is on medication for high cholesterol, I suggest you look into this lifestyle.  You don't have to live on prescriptions the rest of your life to be healthy.  All you need is self discipline and guidance from well researched nutritionists.

No comments:

Post a Comment