Tuesday, August 30, 2016

When I Felt Jesus' Presence

"You said I know that this will hurt.  But if I don't break your heart, then things will just get worse.  If the burden seems to much to bear, remember the end will justify the pain it took to get us there."   -Let it All Out by Relient K



When I was 8 years old, I got saved.  My testimony is simple; I was a child who accepted Jesus into her heart.  I grew up with parents who love the Lord and always showed me a great example of how to live and love.  This didn't mean my life was perfect, it just meant when problems arose, I had a higher power to rely on.

I struggled with depression as a teenager, but my faith was always consistent.  At the age of 19, I met a guy.  We dated for about a week, he told me he loved me, and then I didn't hear from him anymore.  I had given him my first kiss and when I realized he was no longer going to be in my life, it destroyed me.

You have to understand, this was my first experience with a mutual attraction to someone.  In the past, there was always a lack of chemistry with the few guys I dated.  In the grand scheme of things I acknowledge this may seem like a weak reason to feel "destroyed".  But I was young and naive.  This was the most significant dating experience I'd had up to this point and I was devastated it didn't work out.

I'll never forget how it felt, sitting in the car after a failed attempt to figure out what was going on.  He wasn't responding to my calls and texts.  I was crying, trying to figure out what I did wrong.  My heart felt broken, I couldn't catch my breath, and I had a pit in my stomach.  I verbally cried out to Jesus to take this pain away.  I told Him I couldn't bear it.  In that moment, I felt an overwhelming sense of peace wash over my mind and body.  I felt Him telling me to let this go because He would take care of me.

This was the first time I had ever really felt God's presence.  I know in my heart this was Jesus reassuring me He's with me always.  I got more confirmation when I attended church with my parents that week.  A lady went up to sing and said "This song is for someone who is struggling to let a friend go.  God is with you and He wants you to know you'll be okay."  It was exactly what I needed to hear at that time and eventually I was able to move on and forgive.

After the heartbreak my aunt told me sometimes God will bring the wrong person into your life right before the right person, and that's exactly what He did.  It was almost a year later that I met the man who is my husband today.  Words cannot express the joy I feel for the way God's plan for me has unfolded.

I'm extremely thankful for this entire experience because it revealed to me true love.  If I'd never had my heart broken, I don't think I'd appreciate my husband as much as I do.  God made us for each other and our love will never die.  More importantly, I know my savior will never fail me.

"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment