Wednesday, September 21, 2016

5 Crucial Subjects Sorely Lacking in K-12 Schools

 
I was in public school from 1995-2008.  I realize many things have changed in the eight years I've been out, but to my knowledge, schools are still not teaching some extremely important subjects.  Why are practical life skills neglected while busy work we won't remember or ever use in real life is the focus?

I'm not saying all the knowledge I gained during my K-12 education was a waste.  I'm saying there is a severe lack of basic life skills that should be a major focus of school curriculum.  Below are the specific areas I see a desperate need for in our U.S. schools.

1. Taxes & Finances

Taxes are something I still do not understand.  Thankfully, my husband takes care of our taxes and finances.  Even so, I believe schools should require classes that specifically teach students how to do taxes and balance a check book.  I remember personal finances were briefly discussed in high school, but much more is needed.  Teach kids how to budget their money in smart ways.  That way, when they enter the real world, they don't feel overwhelmed by the instant pressures to get everything right.

2. Home Economics

When I was in middle school, there was one Home Ec elective that I was very interested in.  Of course, I was disappointed when I never actually got the class.  It was clear this was not a priority for every student to take.  In high school, I took interior design, the only thing close to Home Ec they offered.  My suggestion would be to require everyone to take several classes in this field.  Teach kids how to cook nutritious meals so they have a foundation for cooking when they move out on their own.  This would reduce laziness to rely on take out or unhealthy frozen dinners.  I would also like to see a class taught on cleaning, organization, and home maintenance.  This would encourage students to keep clean, clutter free homes, thus significantly improving their future lives.  I would love to teach that class if I could!

3. Nutritional Health & Personal Hygiene

As a young adult, I'm extremely horrified by the things I've had to learn on my own.  I had to experience numerous health problems before researching nutrition and learning basic food science to eat the most healthy way. I understand food is a very controversial topic, but we at least know the importance of eating a wide variety of fruits and veggies and to avoid processed foods and sugar as much as possible.   Teach how important it is to drink at least 8 cups of water a day and explain the science behind that.  Start with the basics, then branch out to the more controversial aspects of food.  Teach different sides with scientific facts and let the kids decide what works best for their bodies.   I also had to experiment with personal hygiene products, ultimately discovering that many of these on the market today are filled with chemicals and are dangerous to health.  For example, antiperspirant should not be used because it prevents the body from sweating, therefore keeping toxins inside.  For years I was preventing my body from a natural detoxifying process.  These topics should be a top priority in schools!

4. Psychology

This is obviously a broad topic, as there are many different aspects involved with studying human behavior.  I'd recommend the focus of this class be on learning about who we are as people.  Have students take personality tests, such as the Meyers-Briggs or  The Enneagram test.  Help them learn about who they are, what they're interested in, how they deal with conflict, what their learning style is, etc.  This will equip them with healthier strategies to navigate the emotional roller coaster of growing up while it's actually happening.  Their relationships and ability to communicate will improve and they'll have a clearer idea of what career path to choose.

5. Self-Defense

Finally, I'd like to discuss the joke that is physical education.  Making kids play harsh team sports with unhealthy competition or running in the heat is not a good strategy to develop a healthy motivation for exercise.  How about implementing a self-defense class?  Teach students how to defend themselves in extreme situations.  I wish I'd had this opportunity in school because self-defense classes are expensive.  I'd also love to see alternative methods of exercise being taught in schools, such as yoga.  Yoga is extremely beneficial for the body and the mind.  It would teach a healthy way for students to reduce stress and build strength.  My 16 year old cousin recently told me she took yoga in school, and this has given me hope that maybe things are changing.

You may be thinking these things should be taught by parents, but the thing is, it doesn't occur to most parents because they didn't learn them either.   As a result of this lack, families struggle with finances, homes are cluttered, disorganized, and dirty, optimal nutrition and psychological health are not a priority, and kids are lazy and defenseless.  School boards need to get on this.

  I'm just someone that has been through the school system and sees the true flaws.  We can see the educational system's current motives are not genuine.  Of course, we still need reading, writing, math, science, and history.  But let's take the emphasis off standardized tests and focus on helping to create a generation of healthy, well adjusted, intelligent citizens.  

2 comments:

  1. I know people who graduated high school with you and there was a psychology class there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, yes, there was a psychology class there. My point is these classes should be mandatory for all students, not just electives you might be lucky enough to get. I know many of these topics are discussed in different high school classes, but I want them to go deeper and really teach us about ourselves and who we want to become when we go out into the world!

      Delete