Thursday, October 20, 2016

Why You Should Start Doing Coconut Oil Hair Masks

I have been on a quest over the last few years to find healthy alternatives to commercial products.  The more I research health and beauty, the more shocked I am that there are so many items we use that are filled with chemicals.  I used to love going to the store and finding a new beauty product to try, only to be disappointed when I'd wasted my money on something that yielded just an okay result.

Thankfully, there are many products you can replace with inexpensive, chemical-free alternatives.  That's where coconut oil comes in.  Years ago I would use popular brands of deep hair conditioners that didn't have ideal ingredients and were not very effective.  I looked for a better option and found it in soaking my hair in coconut oil once a week.  It's easy, smells amazing, and best of all, it's healthy.  My hair is always super silky and soft after this routine and I'll never go back.

Here are the simple steps for your weekly coconut oil hair mask:

1. Brush your hair out.


2. Place coconut oil in a small dish.  You'll have to play with the amount depending on how much hair you have.



3. Over the sink, scoop out the coconut oil with your hand and run it all through your hair.  You want to get it completely saturated, but not too much because it will drip.  I start at the roots and make my way down the length of my hair.  Then I dip the ends in the oil to make sure they really get covered.








4. Twist and wrap your hair into a large hair clip.  You can also cover it with a shower cap if you want.








5. Leave on as long as you can.  I would do a minimum of an hour, but the longer the better.  It would be ideal if you could do this on a day you're not going anywhere.  I let mine soak all day while I do my house work.

6. Wash your hair twice with shampoo and then use conditioner.  You want to make sure you get all the oil out or it will be greasy when it dries.
 
Please try this out and let me know how you like it.  Hopefully, you can make this part of a healthy hair care routine!

No comments:

Post a Comment